Drumstick curry is an absolute favorite and simple dish made with soaked chana dal, potatoes, and drumstick.
Drumstick curry is a very easy and simple dish that you can prepare with very limited ingredients. Below I have shared the entire process with step-by-step photos and video.
There are many health benefits of it. Not only it is beneficial for our body, but also it is tastier. Drumstick goes well with Dalma, curries, sambar, etc. This drumstick recipe is a delectable dish for all drumstick lovers.
Subscribe to Odisha Food Newsletter:
What is Drumstick Chana Dal Curry ?
Drumstick Chana dal Curry is prepared with boiled drumsticks, soaked chana dal, sliced potatoes, and spiced with different Indian spices. This way your drumstick curry can get the full taste of drumstick along with other health benefits.
Drumstick trees (Moringa) have medicinal properties and used since ancient times. You can use the leaves, flowers, and pods, and can prepare varieties of dishes out of it. They are rich in vitamin C, vitamin B, vitamin K, manganese, and protein. The word ‘Moringa’ is derived from the Tamil word ‘Murungai’. In Odisha drumstick is known as ‘Munika’ or ‘Sajana Chuin’. Drumsticks are available throughout the year so they became a staple food used in every household for making quick sambar, curry, or fry.
Drumstick curry recipe can be made with only spices and chana dal, but I always love to add potatoes. In either way, you can prepare, the choice is yours!
List of Ingredients for Drumstick and Chana Dal Curry:
Drumstick – It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It boosts immunity and helps to purify the blood. So add drumsticks to your diet for health and well-being. Here I have used boiled drumsticks in the curry. If your drumstick is not tender and more fibrous you can add it directly to the curry.
Chana dal – Soak chana dal in water for 5-6 hours. Soaked chana dals can cook faster than normal chana dal. Chana dal keeps your heart healthy and a good source of protein.
Potatoes – It is a must-have in many Indian curries. It also aids the thickness of the drumstick curry. I love potatoes, if you don’t like them, you can skip.
Tomato – No curry can be complete without it. For me one medium tomato is perfect. You can increase or decrease the quantity as per taste.
Onion, ginger, and garlic paste – For the best flavor and taste you can prepare this paste.
Turmeric powder – It has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that may help boost memory.
Chili powder – For spiciness and taste add chili powder.
Kashmiri chili powder – These aren’t as spicy as chili powder but helps with getting the beautiful red color of the curry.
Cumin powder – Cumin is very helpful for the digestive system. Use less quantity.
Coriander powder – It may be beneficial for digestion and gut health. Mostly used in Indian curries.
Salt – As per taste
What to eat with Drumstick Curry ?
You can eat steamed rice and roti with drumstick curry, but it goes very well with rice.
Drumstick curry recipe is a simple and easy vegetarian recipe that anyone can cook with available kitchen staples.
2-3 Drumsticks rinsed, scraped, and sliced into 2.5-3 inches
1 small cup soaked Chana dal (7-8 tablespoon)
3 medium-size Potatoes (Chopped and peeled)
1 medium-size Tomato(Chopped)
3 tablespoon onion, ginger, and garlic paste
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 tablespoon Coriander powder
½ teaspoon Cumin powder
½ teaspoon Chili powder
¼ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
1 teaspoon dry Kasoori methi
3 tablespoon Mustard oil (Refined oil or ghee)
1 pinch Sugar
1 ½ cup Water
Salt to taste
- Properly wash drumsticks. Scrape and chop into 2.5-3 inches long. Pour in a bowl, add water(till it covers drumsticks), and a little salt. Cover with a lid and cook on high flame till all liquid evaporates. Keep aside.
- We will make drumstick curry in a pressure cooker. It’s easy and time-saving. If you add the chopped drumsticks into the pressure cooker they may lose their shape and don’t taste good.
- In the pressure cooker pour mustard oil. Add onion, ginger, and garlic paste into the hot oil. Sauté in low flame for 5-7 minutes till oil separates.
- Add a little salt with chopped tomatoes. Salt helps tomatoes to cook faster. Cover and sauté until tomatoes mix completely. Stir in between.
- Add Kasoori methi, turmeric powder, chili powder, Kashmiri chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Combine all and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped potatoes and sauté with spices. Cover and sauté potatoes for 5 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Pour soaked chana dal (5-6 hours soaked) and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Don’t add chana dal with potatoes, it may get hard. Add salt as per taste and mix well.
- Pour 1 and ½ cup water along with a pinch of sugar. Sugar is optional. If you want, you can add this. If you want more gravy, you can add another ½ cup water.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid and cook for two whistles in low-medium flame and another 5 minutes in low flame. Open the cooker after all air goes. As we have used soaked chana dal, it will cook faster. If you use chana dal directly, then cook for another two whistles.
- Mash the curry lightly with the help of a ladle. Add boiled drumsticks and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve Drumstick Chana dal Curry hot or warm.
- Do not add drumsticks to the pressure cooker directly. Let the curry get prepared and add boiled drumsticks. In this way, drumsticks will be in proper shape.
- Sauté potatoes first in spices, then add soaked chana dal. Sauté chana dal for 2-3 minutes and do not overcook.
- If you do not like potatoes you can skip it. Prepare the drumstick curry recipe with chana dal the same way as mentioned.